top of page

Applicants Under 16 Must Appear With Both Parents In Most Cases



Please note: passports issued under 16 years of age are valid for five (5) years.

All passport applicants under 16 must apply in person using Form DS-11.

  • Do not sign your child's application until instructed to do so by the acceptance agent.

  • You must provide your child's Social Security number, if they have been issued one.

    • If your child does not have a Social Security number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct:  (Child's full name) has never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”

You must submit one of the following U.S. citizenship documents for your child. Your evidence must be an original or certified, physical copy. Photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable.

  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)

  • U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements: 

    • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth

    • Lists applicant's full name, date of birth, and place of birth

    • Lists the parent(s)' full names

    • Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)

    • Has the registrar's signature

    • Has the seal of the issuing authority

  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth

  • Certificate of Citizenship

You must submit documentation that lists the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of the child applying for a passport.  

The following may be used to show parental relationship:

Please note: Some documents, like a U.S. birth certificate, show both U.S. citizenship and parental relationship.

The parents/guardians must present one of the following identification documents (IDs) to the acceptance agent: 

  • In-state, fully-valid driver's license

  • Valid or expired, undamaged, U.S. passport

  • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship 

  • Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)

  • U.S. military ID or military dependent ID

  • Valid foreign passport

  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular Identification, commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant)

Click here for more information from the U.S. Department of State.

bottom of page