top of page

Applicants 16 and 17 years of age.

Applicants who are 16 and 17 years of age must fill out a DS11 form and apply in person.

You must submit one of the following. Your evidence must be an original or certified, physical copy. Photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable.

  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)

  • U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements: 

    • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth

    • Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth

    • Lists your parent(s)' full names

    • Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)

    • Has the registrar's signature

    • Has the seal of the issuing authority

  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth

  • Certificate of Naturalization 

  • Certificate of Citizenship

Show Parental Awareness


If you have your own current identification document (ID), you may apply for a passport. You must show at least one parent or guardian knows that you are applying for a passport. Your passport application may be denied if we have received written objection from one of your parents or legal guardians. For more information, please see Children's Passport Issuance Alert Program.

How to Show Parental Awareness:

  • A parent or legal guardian appearing with you in person when you apply for your passport. The agent or employee accepting the application will ask your parent or legal guardian to sign Form DS-11. Bring a photocopy of that parent or guardian's ID.

  • A signed, notarized statement consenting to issuance of a passport from at least one parent or legal guardian. The statement should be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent or guardian's ID.

Present ID

You (or your parent/guardian) must present one of the following IDs to the acceptance agent. 

  • In-state, fully-valid driver's license

  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)

  • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship (if the photo is still looks like you)

  • Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)

  • U.S. military ID or military dependent ID

  • Valid foreign passport

  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular Identification, commonly used by the parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant)

Click here for more information from the United States Department of State.

bottom of page